Monday, November 24, 2014

Final Observations

Phil Bagsby

Dr. McFarland

Botany 111 003

24 November 2014

During my observations this past week I was able to identify two new organisms with the help of Dr. McFarland.  Since this was my last observation, and having not identified any new organism the previous observation, I enjoyed wrapping up the experiment with new information to research. The first new organism was something that almost resembled a fern, the other looked like a complex matrix of tubes.



The first organism that I observed this past week was a green alga known as Coleochaete irregulars. Several of these organisms were present and most were found around the middle of the MicroAquarium (Forrest 1959 p. 89 fig. 101).


The second organism that I observed this past week was a matrix of alga known as Oscillatoria formosa. Several of these matrices were found throughout the MicroAquarium. The particular one pictured above was the most interesting matrix of the ones that were observed. (Forrest 1959 p. 385 fig. 378).

Bibliography:

Forrest, Herman S.. 1959. Handbook of Alga. University of Tennessee Press. 

No comments:

Post a Comment